Saturday, June 14, 2008

Goon Candy

OK, starting out the second week here (and a Saturday yet!) with some pics, a cartoon and a reminiscence.
On Friday, I came across this old time taxi sitting on a trailer. I assume it will appear in Public Enemies, the Johnny Depp flick being filmed here (They'd already blocked off part of LaSalle for filming there Friday evening). This was parked on Monroe, just west of Wells.

A couple of shots from the Rogers Park Metra station around 3pm Friday. Nice angry looking sky, but I didn't get rained on.



Here's something from way back when chocolate bars cost 55 cents (The "good old days"? - I think not!). I call this one GOON CANDY


Thursday's encounter with the marsupial reminded me of an odd incident from about 13 years ago. It was perhaps two in the morning (back when I had regular working hours, and actually slept at night), and I was awakened by what sounded like a kind of "metalic" buzzing coming from outside (it was summer, so my window was open). I got out of bed to peek out the window, and in the moonlight I could see the tree in the next yard. The weird sounds were coming from about eight or nine creatures hanging from branches in the tree. Some of the critters were dropping down from the branches too. I wasn't wearing my glasses, and through the tree's leaves I couldn't really make out much detail, but I figure these creatures were opossums, apparently hanging from their prehensile tails. I got the impression the sounds they were making were sounds of fear. It was really kind of creepy! I went back to bed, and when I woke up in the morning and the sun was shining, I kind of wondered if the whole thing even happened.

Finally, here's a shot near sundown looking west from the Madison bridge