Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dolphinoid Historian

Was going to scan in some more old cartoons, but felt like putting something brand new up. This rough sketch is my interpretation of the time machine from PROBOSCIS MONKEYS ARE GO!, one of the better entries in Errol Flynn's now forgotten GEORGE ARMSTRONG CUSTER: TIME TRAVELER movie series he did for Monogram Pictures (the plot involves The Bowery Boys and Mussolini's disembodied brain).

Hey, can I get serious for a minute? Good.

While doing my job, I probably walk past thousands of people a day, so an encounter such as the following shouldn't be much of a surprise:

Beautiful Stranger: "Pardon me, handsome person, but is that a fresh haircut you are sporting?"

Me: "Indeed, yes, Beautiful Stranger. Interestingly, aside from my fresh haircut, I came quite close to also having on a brand new pair of socks! It just so happens that last Friday I purchased five new pairs, however, I left home in such a hurry today, that I put on an older pair with out thinking."

Beautiful Stranger: "That is a fascinating story. Did you know that the new Twix Peanut Butter bar has a chocolate cookie center?"

Me: "As it happens, earlier this day, I purchased such a bar. I recall having the PB Twix many years ago, but the cookie was not chocolate, but the regular Twix cookie. I have yet to determine whether the chocolate cookie is to my taste. I now wish to discuss toe-nail polish and the longevity of emery boards."

Ahhhh -- a little surprise: Yes, I did get a haircut on Monday, did buy a PB Twix and did buy five pairs of socks on Friday -- BUT -- the above conversation did not happen! No, in our modern Ipod/cell phone-centric society, such charming scenarios have been relegated to the realm of delirious fantasy. The present zeigeist seems to be one of self-imposed social autism, where unexpected encounters have little chance of breaking through the techno-gadget armor, and truely meaningful conversations about chocolate and sandpaper will never even begin.

But is it just electronic technology that is barricading the populous against unfettered experience? What roll do self-adhesive Yoda postage stamps, fast-food coupon flyers and ABBA inspired motion pictures play in the downfall of civilization? It may be left to some future historian (in a world of Dolphinoid robots, perhaps?) to piece together...

OK, OK -- I'm just being goofy. Here's a cool pic I took on Monday -- lots of wild cloud formations and stuff that day.



Oh, by the way -- last friday I Did get stopped by a couple of strangers on the street. Two young guys wearing wide-brimmed hats stopped me and asked "Are you buy any chance Jewish?", when I answered "no", they just went on there way -- I didn't even have a chance to tell them about my new socks.

No comments: