Sunday, July 6, 2008

Ostentatious Sneekers?

Shall we talk about... Shoelaces?
A friend of mine had directed me to a site devoted to shoelaces ( www.shoe-lacing.com/shoelace/index.htm ) . BRAVO, SHOELACE GUY!! -- Anyway, this foray into the unusual reminded me of my own strange shoelace experience:
When I was in the third grade, I had developed something of a reputation as someone who paid less than admirable attention to my foot sheath fastners. When time came for one of the schools annual assemblies, wherein each class would take the auditorium stage and perform some song for the gathered throng of students and faculty, my teacher (one Ruth Polk), had decided on a song about preventing accidents. One segment of the song was focused on keeping one's shoelaces tied.
Naturally, there was little question as to who would be stumbling across the stage, feet tangled in humongous multi-colored yarn shoelaces as the class sang of safety.
Though I had no desire to participate in this spectacle, I really didn't have much choice in the matter. I performed my task as one would expect an eight-year-old who was trying to act like a fool without looking like a fool would. The audience roared with laughter, of course. I felt great relief when that moment in the spotlight had ended.
It didn't end there, though. When it came time to replace the monstrous rainbow hued yarn, I found that my regular shoelaces were gone. I spent the rest of the school day, and the long walk home, wearing clown laces. And yes the laughter continued. For days. At least it took attention away from my flood pants...
Well, that's entertainment!
These are some pics for April 21st of this year



No comments: