Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Faith Shopping, Weird Link

Got the idea for this Way Too Series cartoon some years back when I read some article about people switching religions or something. At times it seems that in our society, people treat religion like a pair of shoes; something to be switched when ever one feels like it -- so why not open a "religion store" where one will have a variety to choose from, plus can buy all the accoutrements as well.
As usual, left click on the image for a larger version:

Oh, and just to be on the safe side -- do not speak aloud any of the names mentioned in the cartoon - - the possible consequences could be too ghastly to imagine!

The drawing I made for Ubbo-Sothla eventually became the icon I use for various on-line activities. I got the name "Ubbo-Sothla" from the Clark Ashton Smith tale UBBO-SATHLA, featuring a primordial entity (or whatever). I wanted to have some primal "god" for the cartoon, and loved the Smith story, but his Ubbo-Sathla was more primitive and formless, I wanted to draw a tenticled monstrosity (ah yes, a reacurring theme, no?), so since my entity didn't look as Smith had described, I figured I should change the name a bit. I imagined that some antediluvian tribe had stumbled across this slimey incomprehensible being and started worshipping it as some kind of god, building monuments, making sacrifices and such.

One can find the original C.A.S. short story here: http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/224/ubbo-sathla

Quite mind blowing, I'd say!

Shots taken of the Trib Tower, taken 6/24/08




And finally for today, we have a left-over doodle I scanned in last week, but didn't use.

2 comments:

Uta Refson said...

EXCELLENT. I adore this cartoon! I can't believe the list of dieties you came up with. wow!
it is so true.

Robolly said...

Well, they are all personal friends of mine... (sound of wind rising)... ha, ha -- just kidding... (wind now battering widows, along with the sound of gibbering voices)...No...NO... ARRRGGHHH!