Saturday, July 5, 2008

lack-in-the-Box

Just another random doodle -- hmmm, what could that doggie be looking at?


An underpass on Dempster in Evanston



Something out of the sketchbook:

The only Jack-In-the-Box I can recall having was one I'd found in an alley in Logan Square back in, I guess, 1968. It was dirty and scuffed up. I could turn the crank and hear Monkey Chased the Weasel, but there was no longer any "Jack" so nothing popped out. Perhaps it was a toy ahead of it's time; No chance to cause undo surprises, stress and future psychosis there! Of course, it may have taught me that effort does not result in reward... or maybe: learn to take pleasure in the journey, for the destination is merely an illusion... or: ...blah, blah, blah...

You know, maybe some day, Monkeys and Weasels can be friends.

No comments: