Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pod Cat

Pampered, spoiled, bored...
I guess if Morris the (Finicky) Cat of the 9 Lives cat food commercials had been a human, they probably would have gotten George Sanders to play him. Above even the much publicized "finickiness", Morris seemed to emminate and aura of "anti-energy" an attitude of "... I've already done everything that is worth doing in life, so you can't show me anything that could possibley excite my interest"; even blinking his eyes seemed a been-there-done-that chore.
Some time in the late 70s (I think), I'd noticed a change in Morris - The voice was the same, and he vocalized the same attitude and all, but his actions weren't right -- something was just off-- he seemed too energetic -- the look of perpetual ennui in his eyes had been replaced with something almost perky. Was this the real Morris in these commercials, or was this some kind of "pod cat" like something out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers??
Well, I eventually found out that the original "Morris" had passed away, and had been replaced by an understudy or something. That explained the change.
Funny how they found a replacement who had the exact same voice!

No comments: